Thursday, February 27, 2014

Critical Literacy as Inquiry

Recently, I have decided to dig a little deeper into critical literacy- its definition, pedagogical implications, purpose, and most especially what it looks like in the classroom.  My interest in the topic comes from volunteer work I have been doing with a group of upper elementary girls each week.  We meet, read and talk about a book we have decided on together, and respond in authentic and different ways at each meeting.  The selection of books I tend to "book talk" (and ultimately have the girls choose from) have strong female characters that exhibit different traits which make them strong girls or women.  These books usually deal with or discuss what we call "tough topics".  These tough topics lead us to incredible, critical conversations about our world and the things happening in our characters lives which connect to our own.

Behind the scenes, as I like to call it, I am purposefully exposing the girls to literature which makes them think critically about their world and the kinds of relationships dynamics that exist. When I choose a book I am thinking about the 3Ps- power, perspective, and positioning. How is the character positioned in relation to the other characters in the book and/or the society in general?  What perspective/s are represented?  Which voices are missing from the text and what is the author's purpose in doing this?  How does the author position the characters in the book or even us as the reader?  What is the reader assuming about us as the reader? These are just a couple examples of the kinds of questions that guide me as I select books for our group. 

By digging deeper, I mean I am going to be completing an inquiry project based on critical literacy and how I could potentially implement it in my future classroom.  I plan to read professional textbooks and published articles on the topic to gain a better understanding of its definition, purpose, and application.  Major contributors to the world of critical literacy include: Vivian Vasquez, Mitzi Lewison, Christine Leland, Jerome Harste, and Patrick Shannon among many, many others.  These professionals will make up the majority of my professional reading. 

My plan is to compile a pin board on Pinterest which displays the online resources I have explored, professional texts I have/ plan to read, plus a potential text set which could be used in an upper elementary grade to encourage critical literacy talk in the classroom.  This text set will include both picture books, graphic novels, and chapter book selections.  Since I believe students learn best when they are asked to complete projects and activities that are purposeful, have real world applications, and result in authentic products this is a natural way to align my beliefs with practice.  The real, authentic conversation begins with modeling and questioning by teachers- opening the eyes and minds of the students.  I foresee this kind of class discussion taking awhile to take root but once it does I imagine the possibilities are endless.  The product of this kind of talk in the classroom are students that are prepared for the twenty-first century and have the skills to think critically about their world and ultimately make change.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to seeing this territory develop! I wonder if you would write about it every now and then for your blog? I'm very interested in this topic and would love to read more on your thinking in this area!

    ReplyDelete